J. Arthur Bower’s Rose, Tree & Shrub Compost
J. Arthur Bower’s Rose, Tree & Shrub Compost has been specially developed to give gardeners the ideal medium for planting roses, trees and shrubs as well as fruit trees and bushes. Containing 8-12 weeks feed and our patented West+ fibre, this high performance compost offers unrivalled results in plant health, root establishment and moisture retention.
- Exceptional growing results with 8-12 weeks feed for season long flowering
- Easier to re-wet and excellent moisture retention for up to 50% less watering
- Aids the long-term establishment of plant through good root development
- An open-textured compost for planting and moving new and established trees, shrubs and roses
- With added magnesium for greener leaves and bone meal for better root growth
J. Arthur Bower’s Rose, Tree & Shrub Compost contains a rich mixture of essential nutrients and trace elements to help the plant establish itself. It has enhanced magnesium levels to keep roses healthy and added bonemeal to encourage strong root growth and better plant development.
This open-textured compost allows essential air movement, necessary for strong root development whilst also providing ideal water retaining properties. The compost will feed for 8 to 12 weeks. After that we recommend feeding roses with rose food and shrubs, conifers and trees alternately with bone meal and either growmore or fish, blood & bone.
At Westland we are always striving to make our products clearer and easier to understand so you can make more informed purchase decisions. J. Arthur Bower’s Rose, Tree & Shrub compost contains peat & West+ for a better, more consistent growing medium with improved moisture and nutrient retention. It offers the ideal balance between air and water holding, making it the perfect environment for healthy root growth.
How to Use Rose, Tree & Shrub Compost
Beds & Borders
- Dig a hole twice the size of root ball diameter and add a layer of compost
- Place plant in hole and back fill with compost
- Firm compost around plant and water well
- Water plant well and allow to drain before potting
- Allow enough space to accommodate roots
- Remove from pot and plant in new container, firming the compost gently around the roots, water well
- Once fully planted, water well
- Fill seed tray evenly with compost, then firm gently and water
- Make sloping cut in stem of cutting and remove all bottom leaves
- Dip end of cutting in hormone rooting powder to encourage rooting
- Make hole in the compost with pencil or dibber
- Place cutting into hole and firm compost gently around it
- Cover seed tray with glass/polythene to prevent drying out and place in a warm spot away from direct sunlight, until cuttings have taken
What is West+
J. Arthur Bower’s compost contains a mix of peat and West+ wood fibre giving it a distinctive appearance.
West+ wood fibre is a light fibrous material that provides the following great benefits:
- More flowers, fruit and vegetables
- Stronger root systems for healthier plants
- Controls moisture for less watering
- Guaranteed growing results